CHARITY CHALLENGE

by 5:53 AM 0 COMMENTS

If you have been a reader here for a while, you know, I have consistently championed the superiority of private charities over government social programs. I feel very strongly that churches and private charities are the answer to what we as a society must turn to, after the mathematically inevitable end of Social Security and Medicare come upon us.

A few days ago I had a conversation with one of the guys at work, a fellow conservative. We both agreed that the social programs were inefficient and doomed. However, he expressed a belief that such programs were needed, because not enough people would freely give. He said yes a hundred years ago people helped each other, but now people are far too self centered. He makes a reasonable point, we have become more self centered.

Regardless of the social trend to be more self centered, I believe that most people are still basically good and want to help others. While I am deeply concerned about the trends of our society, I think there is still much hope for us. If I didn't think we could turn it around, I would be digging a bunker waiting for the end.

We must come to terms with the reality that much of this selfishness stems from our dependence of government social programs to cure the ills of society. While these programs may have had noble intentions on paper, in practice they are inherently evil. These programs rob those who would freely give, of joy that comes from voluntarily helping a fellow human being and replaces if with resentment. On the other side of the coin, it robs those who receive of true gratitude and replaces it with a sense of entitlement.

Contrast that with the results of these private charities:









Can you see the difference between giving someone a check and actually helping them?

The challenge
I have readers of various faiths and walks of life, but one thing I've noticed is a common desire to do good and make this world a better place. Many of you already give wonderful selfless acts of service to those in need. My challenge is to do a little more. You don't have to take out a second mortgage to donate to charity. It can be something as simple as helping someone carry their groceries. Each of us (especially myself) has room for improvement. Let's reverse this trend toward selfishness one kind act at a time. I change each of you and myself to do more.



Anonymous

Developer

Cras justo odio, dapibus ac facilisis in, egestas eget quam. Curabitur blandit tempus porttitor. Vivamus sagittis lacus vel augue laoreet rutrum faucibus dolor auctor.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment